Monday, March 01, 2010

A New Day Has Come

Well... the test was negative. Not really a big surprise as I have been staring at negative tests every month for over a year now. While I was okay with the result and there were limited tears, I wanted to drown my sorrows in Corner Bakery syrup. After eating every last bite of their baked french toast with bacon and sucking down a chai tea latte, I felt so sick. Then I immediately thought, "What the hell am I doing to myself? I need to detox." After some internet research,(isn't that how it's done these days?) I came across an Oprah approved detox called the Quantum Wellness Cleanse. It asks you to give up what the author calls the Big 5; animal products, gluten, sugar, caffeine and alcohol. Not being a big veggie eater, my entire diet is the Big 5. For 21 days, I can do it and who knows? Maybe it'll help me conceive.

Shopping last night was a challenge. I went to Whole Foods to pick up some vegan, gluten free, sugar free items and it was very difficult. I would find things that were vegan, but not gluten free, or gluten free but not vegan, or gluten free and vegan but has sugar. I was also shocked and appalled to learn that gluten free bread was $8 a loaf. For reals? That's ridiculous.

I left Whole Foods $50 lighter with some staples that will be good for me throughout my detox - like frozen waffles and soups for lunch. I am off to a pretty good start today, but I am starving now that it is just about lunch time. For breakfast, I had Amy's Cream of Rice cereal bowl with sliced almonds and raisins sprinkled on top. Amy's products were really easy to read to tell if they were vegan or gluten free. Thanks, Amy! For lunch, I will have some soup and these very interesting looking crackers.

After work, I am going to go to Wal-Mart to do the rest of my shopping. The key will be keeping enough healthy foods on hand so I don't go hungry and around 4PM being able to push through those sugar cravings.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home